Records Requests

Posted in: Resources, Communications, Records Requests, Frequently Asked Questions
Feb 29, 2012 - 5:00:00 PM

Who can obtain a copy of a police report?

To obtain a copy of a traffic accident report, you must be listed as the driver, passenger, or an authorized representative of the people listed in the report or someone filing a claim.

To obtain a copy of a property or person crime report, you must provide a case number or other information to assist in identifying the incident. The report may be released if it is not under investigation or restricted.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

Come to the Post Falls Police Department located at 1717 E. Polston Avenue.
You will need to complete a request form, which states your interest in the police report. Please include the case number or detailed information to assist us in determining the correct case number. This form is also available below, requires a signature, and can be emailed to

How much will it cost? How can I pay for it?

You will be notified if there will be a cost involved and what that cost will be prior to the request being processed. All fees will be paid prior to the request being fulfilled.

If the labor to locate and copy the records exceeds two hours, there will be a labor cost charged at the lowest hourly wage plus benefits (at 25% of wage) of any employee qualified to assist in the records search and oversight beginning with the first hour, in addition to the cost, per page, as stated below.

There is no charge for a request that generates less than 100 pages. Requests that generate 100 pages will be charged $.05 per page over the 100 pages.  Additionally, there is a 100 page annual threshold per person per calendar year.
Copies of photos, audio or videotapes are provided for a corresponding fees. 
When copies of photos are requested, the requestor may pay for the prints when they pick them up.  See the fee schedule at the bottom of this article.  Checks or money order should be made payable to the City of Post Falls.

Can I request a police or accident report by mail?  Email?

Yes. You can request a copy of a report by completing the attached records request form.  SIgn the form and return it to the Post Falls Police Department.  All mailing fees are the responsiblity of the requestor.  Please send your request, along with a self addressed stamped envelope to: Post Falls Police Department, Attention: Records Department, 1717 E. Polston Ave., Post Falls, ID 83854.  We are now able to send complete records request via email.  Include your email address in the appropriate place on the Records Request form.